- OF Vladimir Guerrero
- OF Hideki Matsui
- OF Manny Ramirez
- 3B Alex Rodriguez
- SS Miguel Tejada
- SP Carlos Zambrano
I have the 5th-overall pick in the supplemental draft and am not sure exactly how to approach things. I've always been mediocre to bad with pitching, so this year I'm leaning toward loading up with bats and trying to find some nice value in middle-tier starters, or get lucky with some late-round picks on a few younger guys.
The question, for those of you into fantasy baseball, is how would you approach this draft? Keep in mind that ELB is a points-based Head-to-Head league, so a lot of what makes a player a good rotisserie guy doesn't apply to head-to-head. As it stands, I think I'm looking at an Andruw Jones/Jermaine Dye/Jim Thome as my first pick to fill the DH slot, and an SP/1B in rounds 2 & 3, depending on who I think will fall to my 3rd pick. Pick up a SP/SP or SP/C or SP/2B in round 4, C or 2B in 5, and SP/RP or SP/SP in 6.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Any ideas on quality SPs who may be overlooked in the early rounds? Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do a lot of my own homework on this, so most of my info is based on little CBS blurbs and projections.

7 comments:
In my ongoing email draft I just drafted Keith Foulke. Then I found out he retired last month. Don't do that.
Luckily it was the next to last round, so not too much harm done.
"I've never heard of most of these guys, and the ones I do know are way past their prime."
"Most of these guys never had a prime."
"This guy here is dead."
"Cross him off then."
Hehehe. I'll try to avoid the old geezers.
The question was for who to draft, but so far you've compiled quite a list of who not to draft:
1) Retired players
2) Dead players
Well, the best idea here is go for the players that are going to get you the most points, while paying attention to the ability to get points from that position later. Catcher and second base are woefully shallow this year (I would argue catcher moreso than second base, because a) you're more likely to find a second baseman who might get 30 steals out of nowhere and b) there are lots of young second basemen and one or two should have good years, while there are lots of old catchers and most won't improve). The guys you named are all very good and Andruw Jones could have a massive contract year.
As for pitching, here are a few guys I like for value (not necessarily with an early pick, but should be worth more than people expect) - Dave Bush, Felix Hernandez, Brad Penny, Curt Schilling, Aaron Harang. Special note on Joel Pineiro - if he gets his stuff together this spring, he could be a monster as the Red Sox closer - bears watching. Here a few guys I don't like this year - Chris Young (especially Chris Young), Bronson Arroyo, Kenny rogers, Roy Halladay, Jason Schmidt (again, it's all relative to expectations).
I think my draft was pretty successful, thanks for the tips. Lucky for me I was able to stay out of the Bo Diaz sweepstakes.
I also like Chris Sabo.
Floyd Youmans will have at least 35 saves this year.
Post a Comment