Thursday, March 23, 2006

If a Post Falls in the Titwillow, Would Anyone Notice?

So much for the triumphant return of The Tit, eh? Life is much busier than I anticipated with a little one. Thank God for TiVo, because otherwise I don't think I'd get to watch anything (except for my man AB, who desperately needs some new episodes).

Speaking of TiVo, last night we watched the season finale of The Shield. I'm pretty sure I've recommended this show here before, but regardless it deserves another plug: BEST DRAMA ON TELEVISION. It's better than Lost, which was beginning to creep up on it. This season's finale solidified The Shield as my top show.

Overall I liked Season 5 much better than Season 4, with the show returning to its "roots" as it were: Vic & his team against the establishment, though this season brought in a new element - their consciences. Excellent, excellent television, folks.

It's hard to comment on this season's finale without giving anything away (for those who decide to begin watching from Season 1, you won't be disappointed). However, I will say that for most of the episode I was uneasy. Will they or won't they, will he or won't he, do I want them to or don't I? I kept Kerry-ing back and forth, totally undecided on what I wanted the outcome to be. Well, suffice it to say that I was completely shocked with the results, to the point that I began to feel slightly queasy. That sounds pretty gay, but it's true. I don't think I've ever been as emotionally invested in a television show as I am with The Shield.

The only other TV moment I can compare it to is the stabbing of John Carter on ER a while back. To this day, it remains the best dramatic scene I have ever seen on television. Unfortunately, I think the background music and volume has been changed for syndication because I've watched that episode several times since its original airing and it isn't how I remember it. Last night I watched a scene leap into second place (if you watch it, you'll know what scene I'm talking about). Phenomenal.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now. Do yourself a favor and rent Season 1. If you're not hooked by the end of episode 1, then you may not like it. My guess is you will.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

You could've avoided the suspense and queasiness if you'd just let me tell you what I knew!!

Now, about "24"...